Sunday, April 12, 2009

Where did the concept of leaving flowers on graves originate? isnt it impractical?

i bought some flowers for my dear baby who died recently. but as i laid them on her grave, i thought, %26quot;wouldnt it be more practical to keep them in the house, in her honor, and enjoy them on her behalf? besides, her sprirt would most likely be in the house with me...not at her grave.%26quot; but i decided, i would leave them at the grave so it could have flowers....%26quot; but i culdnt help wondering....do people leave flowers on graves for the dead or for decoration? would it be wrong to just buy flowers and keep them in the home in her honor, rather than on her grave? im serious. i think if i die, i would want my loved ones to get flowers and keep them and think of me...this queston isnt meant to be insensitive...i was just really curious

Where did the concept of leaving flowers on graves originate? isnt it impractical?
First of all, my sympathies on the loss of your child.





I believe that the tradition of leaving flowers the gravesite was pretty much started by the Victorians. but then I%26#039;ve seen that it supposedly started with the ancient Celts.





I don%26#039;t think that is wrong at all to want to have the flowers in the house rather than on the gravesite. Lots of people do that, so it%26#039;s not at all unusual. When my mother passed, she was cremated. Where her ashes were buried, I had a rose bush planted in her honor because she loved roses





There are a lot of different ways to remember someone who has passed, just depends on the family%26#039;s tradition and culture.
Reply:I am very sorry you lost your baby. There is no right way or wrong way to show respect or greave for loved ones, IMHO. Sometimes people see others doing something and think they have to also, but doing your own thing can lead others to think in less conventional ways.



computer

No comments:

Post a Comment